Mission, Vision, Values and Guiding Principles
Medical Panels are impartial and promote a collaborative, fact-based, and worker centric approach to resolving differences of medical opinion.
Medical Panels strive to be worker centric, and facilitate fair, efficient and effective decisions for complex medical matters affecting injured workers.
Medical Panels' values highlight the beliefs that guide Medical Panels staff (including contractors and Medical Panel physicians) in their day-to-day interactions.
Medical Panel staff demonstrate FAIRNESS by:
- providing a full and impartial opportunity to the Injured Worker (and all affected parties) to present their information without fear of being judged.
- considering all available information without bias.
- using the principles of administrative justice as a basis for resolving medical disagreements.
Medical Panel staff demonstrate INDEPENDENCE by:
- remaining at arms-length from government, the Workers’ Compensation Board (WCB), and the Appeals Commission.
- making decisions that are unbiased and unaffected by any previous decisions or opinions that have been expressed to the MPO.
- providing stand alone decisions based on the medical experience and expertise of the Panel Members.
MPO staff demonstrate RESPECT by:
- valuing the perspectives, concerns, and time of the Injured Worker and all other stakeholders.
- acknowledging diversity, individual differences, and the challenges/hardships that the Injured Worker has experienced.
- protecting the privacy and confidentiality of personal information.
Medical Panel staff demonstrate OPENNESS AND TRANSPARENCY by:
- providing a full explanation of MPO processes in dealing with complex medical issues.
- answering questions and concerns of Injured Workers and systems partners to the best of our ability.
- supporting conclusions that were reached with clear evidence and adequate reasoning.
Medical Panel staff demonstrate COLLABORATION by:
- acting in ways that build and maintain the trust of injured workers and all our stakeholders.
- taking steps to prevent and/or resolve any real, perceived, or potential conflict.
- working with our system partners for the common good of the injured worker.
Medical Panel staff demonstrate EXCELLENCE by:
- striving for exemplary service delivery through continuous improvement.
- supporting our staff in achieving their best by providing a safe, healthy and learning environment.
- selecting Panel Members and Independent Medical Examiners who are all in good standing with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta.
- Medical Panel Members and staff are bound by our Code of Conduct and will uphold the enshrined Values in their daily activities.
- The Medical Panel ensures its actions uphold the highest standards of ethical behaviour.
- The Medical Panel is accountable for achieving outcomes, and carrying out our work with diligence, pride, efficiency, and transparency.
- The Medical Panel values collaboration, promotes innovation, and endeavours to be highly effective and efficient in our mandate.
- The Medical Panel strives to continually improve the quality of our services, policies and programs.
- The Medical Panel provides timely and effective decisions, through meaningful processes that move the Injured Worker's file closer to resolution.
- Minister of Labour
- (Injured) Workers
- Worker Advocates
- WCB System Partners
- Workers’ Compensation Board
- Appeals Commission
- Oversight Partners
- Ethics Commissioner
- Public Agency Secretariat
- Medical Panel Staff